About Me

My photo
I live with my boyfriend and our friend, a chameleon, 2 pythons, a boa constrictor, 7 tarantulas, 2 bearded dragons, a bosc monitor lizard, an iguana, a tortoise, a scorpian and soon to be new addition of chickens! Most people (including our housemate)find it a little uncomfortable in our house, but my boyfriend and I egg eachoter on with our collectiong of wierd and wonderful pets!

Thursday 19 February 2009

The Foo-Fighters 'Everlong' (1995) Michel Gondry


"Part of the attraction to this video is the desperation of the song - part of the attraction of the video - it's a love story in under five minutes, and one that you won't forget." -"Ben" Semi-professional Critic, Boston USA

I absolutely agree with this critic:

Surprisingly, or perhaps not so, Foo Fighter's 'Everlong' video has absolutely nothing to do with the song, instead it sees lead singer Dave Grohl wander through a surreal series of events, including growing a giant hand (Known ad handor to hardcore Foo-Fighters fans) and slapping people with it.


The video to Everlong is directed by Michel Ghondry, who went on to direct 'Eternal Sunshine Of the Spotless Mind'. 'Everlong' is a parody of cult horror film 'Evil Dead' directed by future Spiderman director Sam Ramini.

The video begins with Grohl and his [fictional, played by foo fighters drummer: Taylor Hawkins] girlfriend in bed and features several phone calls from his girlfriend, who, in a dream world is being assassinated by several grim characters [played by Grohl].
Upon answering the phone several times and falling back to sleep again, he soon realizes he cannot wake her from her sleep and save her that way; so he sleeps again and tries to save her. Initially, in typical male fashion he dreams he is covered in girl's legs, but these morph into logs when he realizes he is meant to be saving his love.

Finally Grohl assuages the villains and the pair sleep peacefully, but Dave is awoken by the villains from the dream in his bedroom.
The villains graphically morph into band mates, Nate Mendel and Franz Stahl -the bed morphs into Hawkin's drums and for the last few seconds the band sing the end of Everlong.

There are many interpretations as to the meaning of the song the favoured interpretation is that everlong is that this song is about the drug addictions and bad habits of the late Kurt Cobain, who was in Nirvana with Foo Fighter Dave Grohl. Grohl's lyrics are very deep and he tries to get the point across that he feels like he could have saved Kurt in several different ways.
Other interpretations are that the song is an ode to his ex wife, letting her know that he misses her and regrets not spending enough time with her.
Either way the lyrics are chilling (Especially in the acoustic take) and as "Ben" said, there is a clear element of desperation in the lyrics (below), Everlong is clearly a deeply personal song.

The video certainly features a love story in under five minutes, we watch a man battle Freddy Kruegor style villains to save his girlfriend, what better love story is there than proving love conquers all.


Completely juxtaposing this is the song:

Hello
I've waited here for you
Everlong
Tonight I throw myself into
And out of the red out of her head she sang
Come down and waste away with me
Down with me
Slow how you wanted it to be
I'm over my head, out of her head she sang
And I wonder
When I sing along with you
If everything could ever feel this real forever
If anything could ever be this good again
The only thing I'll ever ask of you
You've got to promise not to stop when I say when
She sang
Breathe out So I can breathe you in
Hold you in
And now I know you've always been
Out of your head, out of my head I sang
And I wonder
When I sing along with you
If everything could ever feel this real forever
If anything could ever be this good again
The only thing I'll ever ask of you
You've got to promise not to stop when I say when
She sang
And I wonder
If everything could ever feel this real forever
If anything could ever be this good again
The only thing I'll ever ask of you
You've got to promise not to stop when I say when


As one can see this is a deeply personal song with a real sense of desperation, It seems Grohl is desperate to tell somebody how much he misses for them and almost sounds as if he's grieving. I can only completely agree with "Ben"'s statement that one of the attractions (without seeing the video) is the song.
It is an incredibly haunting tale of regret and grief featuring poignant metaphors such as
"Breathe out, so I can breathe you in -hold you in" confirming the deeply personal sense of loss in the song.
He also repeats the line
"You've got to promise not to stop when I say 'when'" -Perhaps suggesting his fear of commitment lead him to find this loss; although this could be interpreted as either Grohl reaching out to his ex wife, or to Kobain.

To conclude, it is clear that "Ben's" statement is both informed and correct, although it is based on oppinion, I have to say I completely agree with him. Everlong is a haunting song with an unforgetable and completely bizaare video attatched. Although the love story visually depicted is tongue-in-cheek, one cannot ignore the depths of the feeling within the lyrics.

BIBLIOGRAPHY
[Magazine article]
Author: Samuel Weinzer
Date: 1995
Publisher: Kerrang

[Internet]
Author: UNKNOWN
Date: UNKOWN
Publisher:Wikipedia
Date link was last proved active: 15/2/09
URL: http://www.wikipedia.org/ (Key Words Foo+Fighters+Everlong)





2 comments:

  1. what the fuck!where is the phone part u gimp!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i spoke about the phone is an iconic image u spaz fuck off my blog u lurker jeez

    ReplyDelete